Friday, September 22, 2006

Of Course Your AC is Connected to Your Sink Pipes!

Our upstairs air conditioner has been out for 4 days, and was finally fixed today. I will spare the details of why it took that long to fix it, but believe me, there were reasons. We had been sleeping with the upstairs windows down, and then shutting them during the day, which led to a very stuffy house by the time we got home each day. At least the downstairs AC was working.

The final "fix" was conducted by Rod and I, not the folks who installed our $2000 investment into a new outside unit. They had left and I noticed that cold air was still not blowing; Rod investigated and found that a float switch had been tripped, which could mean a couple of things, but in this case, it meant a somewhat rare event that was brought on by a clogged drain pipe that pooled into one of the piping structures under a sink in the kids' bathroom. The evening was spent with my thumb stuck up into a disgusting pipe against something that looked and smelled like sh*t so that I could create "pressure" so that when Rod yelled "OK!" and subsequently blew into the other end of the pipe (which was in the attic) I could count to three and remove my thumb from the sludge as the air forced the sh*t into the bucket below my hand. Of course this involved very awkward positions and a lot of cursing. We finished the job with our Wet/Dry shop vac (which has been way more useful than any appliance we have ever owned). Once that pipe was clear, the air conditioner blew cool air and has been working properly ever since. I would say that we're pretty good problem solvers.

No comments: