Saturday, September 16, 2006

Back in Texas!

Our last couple of days in New York were great. It was the perfect amount of time there to really enjoy ourselves without spending too much money. We slept in on Friday and had a bagel brunch at a deli around the corner once we got up. There is definitely not a shortage of delis and pizza shops in New York. We visited the Empire State building on the way to an unusual museum: The Museum of Sex. This is the place that has hosted the statue of Britney Spears giving birth on all fours and currently has a Hilary Clinton bust next to an exhibit about females and politics and sexuality and the fact that the interaction exists. I'll spare my reader guests any additional details about the museum, because it truly is something you have to experience for yourself. Thursday night we saw Mamma Mia! on Broadway. It was terrific as well, but in a completely different way from Rent.

Saturday was our last day in NY. We took the subway down to the former World Trade Center site and it is astounding in person. You can still see the destruction via the gaping holes in the ground. There are pictures that are representative of the events of 9/11 all around the gates of the area. So sad. Even several of the buildings around the area have a level of dirt on the outside that could not be normal wear and tear--it has to be from the effects of that day. After a brief time there, we walked a few blocks to South Street Seaport, from which you can see the Brooklyn Bridge and shop for hours (if you wanted to). We went to a museum down there that had the "Bodies" exhibit which has been in several large cities in the US and other countries. That was amazing. I don't think I could really describe it well in words.

After that, we took another subway to JFK Airport but got off too late and had to take a bus in Queens (I think) to complete our journey to the airport. I have no regrets about the trip. I think we got a lot done in the time we were there. I am happy to be home though. Kenneth woke up to say hello and he gave me the best hug. I tried to wake Evelyn up but she was sacked out.

3 comments:

Tiffani said...

I'm glad you guys had fun. You fit in a lot of fun things while you were there, but it doesn't sound like it was too hectic. A perfect mix for vacationing without kids. I bet the kids are excited to have you home :)

Tiffani said...

LOL You keep being sought out my random viewers.

WallineFamily said...

I know. What is up with that?