Saturday, September 29, 2007

Deconstruction


Elizabeth and family visited my parents on Thursday, so we went over there for dinner and to hang out briefly (school night). Kenneth took some pictures with my camera and got a cute one of Caleb. Anne Marie is so much bigger than when we saw them last. Somehow we didn't get a picture of her, but we'll be seeing them soon.

Friday I spent time with a group from work doing a Dell-sponsored volunteer day. We chose Habitat for Humanity. Our project was a deconstruction project, rather than a construction project (with which most people are probably familiar). Deconstruction projects are jobs where the HfH can salvage building materials to sell in their HfH store and with the proceeds, can fund construction projects. My particular task of the day was moving large pieces of plywood with nails in them and removing the nails. One of my co-workers, Danielle, and I were partners throughout the day and for the first half of the morning we had a little system where we could sit on the ground and remove the nails. I was so exhausted by 2:00 when I left--it was harder work than I thought. I admire the stamina of the people who do that type of work everyday.

Kenneth and I were chatting about how much a mother loves her children. The conversation on my end went something like "I will always be thinking about you, even when you're a grown up...wondering if you're driving safely, taking your vitamins, getting enough sleep..." Clearly this motherly love was sinking in for Kenneth, because he jumped in: "Mom, do I have a mosquito bite on my back?"

2 comments:

Tiffani said...

I just saw my forst HfH store this weekend, so it's cool to understand what exactly that is. As for the mosquito bite on Kenneth's back, lol, that sounds like a conversation we would have around here. Too funny...

Tiffani said...

I just saw my forst HfH store this weekend, so it's cool to understand what exactly that is. As for the mosquito bite on Kenneth's back, lol, that sounds like a conversation we would have around here. Too funny...