Sunday, September 09, 2007

Cricket Freak Out

Every year in Texas an onslaught of crickets show up in front of stores, in buildings, etc. At my work, they have become such a nuisance that the facilities group has had to take special measures to deal with them. I have found them crawling up my cube wall, on my keyboard, on the floor under my feet, etc. Some co-workers and I observed how the crickets get onto the 2nd floor: they drop out of the light fixtures. Gross.

Anyhow, earlier today I went into my bathroom (at home) and noticed some lint-like stuff on the toilet seat. Now, having two children, I was not too surprised or concerned with this. I periodically have to clean up craft projects that find their way to the toilet. I wiped it away and moved on. Later on, I re-visited the same bathroom and found more lint-like stuff. This time I looked around to see if there was evidence of a craft project anywhere else--there wasn't. I determined it was probably some dust being forced out of the fan vent in the bathroom and that next time I got around to it, I should probably clean it. The story is not over. Rod goes into that bathroom a few minutes later and said "What is a cricket doing in the toilet?" AAAAGGGGHHH. A nasty cricket got into my attic and decided to fall out of the fan vent into the toilet. Prior to its demise, it was scuffling around in the vent causing dust to fall out. FOUL. It could have fallen onto my head while using the toilet or jumped out of the toilet onto me.

1 comment:

Tiffani said...

lol, that is disturbing on so many levels. on day i had dream's daughter over and she was talking about life in the congo. at some point abby and sarah were telling a story about giant crickets jumping around making them squeal. joyce very matter of factly told them that "my brothers love crickets, we ate them all the time at home." haha there was no intention to freak the girls out, but their open mouth stares were priceless.