Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Orator


Kenneth was selected to participate in an oratorical contest in school last Tuesday. The contestants had been narrowed down from classroom-level competitions to the big night.

The theme was related to Black History Month, so the passages that the kids memorized were from various black authors or activists. Kenneth chose a selection from the "I Have a Dream" speech by Martin Luther King. About 80-100 kids total ended up in the final evening competition. I was so proud of Kenneth. Evelyn and I sat down on the floor of the cafeteria with a bunch of kids because I couldn't get a good view in the chairs. Kenneth called me the next day from school to tell me he won first place out of the whole 4th grade! You can click on the image of the video to see Kenneth's winning speech. We're so proud of him! He's pretty proud of himself, too.

5 comments:

Tiffani said...

WOW! That was really, really impressive!! Give Kenneth a big congratulations from Dallas.

Elizabeth said...

Way to go, Kenneth!!

Elizabeth said...

Caleb says "I love Kenneth. I'm so proud of him. Kyle loves him too. Caleb loves flowers from Kenneth."

grandmother kuchi said...

Great Job!!! Your great grandmother, Vida agrees. More people should take this speech to heart and make it real in their lives. Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Hi,my name is Steve Walline.We're from Kearney NE,and I thought our name was pretty rare.