Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Please, No Gorilla Bar




Evelyn and I were coloring this evening and conversation turned to the snack that I put in her backpack that she gets to eat during her class snack time. Believe me, I try my best to provide variety but (silly me) for two days in a row I gave her a granola bar. She asked very politely, "Please, no gorilla bar tomorrow Mom. Can I have some crackers instead?" I told her no problem, but for future reference it's called granola bar, not gorilla bar--she took it in stride and you can bet she won't make that mistake again!

We've also been going over how to write "big" numbers (in the ten-thousands). She calls out a number and we talk through how to write it. One of the numbers she came up with verbally was "fifty-five thousand, fifty-five hundred and five" which is not a number. After I showed her how we couldn't find place values for all of of those numbers, she sang a song about it in a very melodic way, "...and it's NOOOOOOT a real number, it's a FAAAAAAAKE number, and that's OOOOOOKAAAAYY because I'm making it up in my MIIIIINNND."

Rod mowed the lawn (which was in dire straits because of the recent rains) and discovered a pair of butterflies in the grass. He stopped the mower and placed one on Kenneth and one on Evelyn. They thought it was great.

No comments: