Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day Events

I had a parent/teacher conference with Evelyn's teacher today as a mid-year check in. Of course, Evelyn is doing great. She is the only one in her class who got a 100 on the kindergarten math assessment for mid-year and is well-ahead on her reading skills as well. At home, she is sounding out words like 'marshmallow.' She is also a child that can be trusted by the teacher and is very responsible (paraphrasing her teacher's wording here). Evelyn is the only kid in the class who has been assigned the responsibility of going down the hall to pick up the attendance print out and bring it back to her clasroom without horsing around. No surprise there, as she is a big rule-follower.

Because it was Valentine's Day today, the kids exchanged little valentine cards with each other. Evelyn's teacher told me that she had received a special card from a kid named Sean, who "practically worhsips the ground she walks on." That is so cute. Evelyn had always talked about Sean as being someone who bugged her and once attempted to cut off some of her hair. When I asked her about the card, she said, "Yeah. He's my best friend." Best friends change daily, I guess. Now she has a Sponge Bob Valentine card to show for it.

One other quick note: It is interesting because both kids seem to have turned a corner on the next level of who they will become (personality) as they grow up. Kenneth is quickly picking up the hilarious art of sarcasm and is using "bigger" words than he used to--must be from all the reading.

Because it is Wednesday and a pretty awful day to attempt to go out to eat, we chose to make a spaghetti dinner for the family and eat at the house. Rod visited the Upper Crust Bakery today and picked up cinnamon buns, scones, heart-shaped cookies, and chocolate-covered strawberries. Kid in a candy store all grown up (but the desserts were truly fabulous). I went to my standard Wednesday night workout at 7:30 and there were about 10 people there (usually 25-30). If I wasn't attached, I might have gotten mildly depressed when the instructor yelled "I didn't think any women would show up tonight!" ha ha I am in the lame group. On a positive note, the owners left single roses for all the women who did come to classes on V-Day. One of the guys told me that pink roses represent fertility--I'm not quite sure how to respond to such a random comment. I just smiled and said something insipid like "that's cool."

Have a happy Valentine's Day!!

1 comment:

Ontiveros Family said...

I would expect no less from Miss E. She is such a great kiddo!